User Profile Migration is the backing up and restoring of user data and settings. Sometimes referred to as “personality migration” (more of a marketing term for audiences that don’ know what a profile is). Microsoft offers the User State Migration Tool (USMT) but other vendors have improved upon this and some have even made it their focus to provide a best of breed approach that goes beyond simple backup and restore. Ways such products can differentiate include ease of use (as always) but also speed, security and comprehensiveness. An ability to intelligently backup settings for third party applications and even restore application settings to different versions of the application makes it an even more valuable capability for OS migration projects.
Other benefits of various User Profile Migration solutions may include…
- Migrate all user profile data and settings on Windows XP, Windows 7/8, and Windows 10
- Automatically join machines to a new domain
- Migrates from a domain back to a workgroup
- Supports domain migrations over a VPN
- Command line and script support
- Ability to support push migrations of remote machines
- Migrate applications between versions of the OS
- Migrate cross-version from Office 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016
- Move printer identities as part of a migration
- Migrate PSTs and Accounts in Outlook
- Move specific registry keys, files and shell folders
This is one of many systems deployment features covered here at AppDetails. Be sure to see the AppDetails coverage of other systems deployment features.
Interested in this feature?
Is this feature important to you? What products should you consider that include it? Let AppDetails help you determine how vendors are differentiating from one another to stand out in the market, while staying focused on the features that are important to you. AppDetails can help you find the right solution, across all possible solutions, and at no charge.