• April 24, 2017 at 8:23 pm#5172
    Profile photo of Kim ZuppeKim Zuppe
    Participant

Admin Studio seems to get a lot of love. I’m wondering why.

I realize people love what they know and it has been around a long time, so that likely has a lot to do with it. Does it do something the other’s don’t? It it easier to use? Is it faster? It’s not cheaper. Maybe it does a better job creating error free packages somehow?

• April 25, 2017 at 4:31 am#5175
    Profile photo of Riley LimRiley Lim

Humm you hit the button in the first sentence.

I’ve used others and they are fine, there’s nothing wrong with Wise Package Studio (defunct) or PACE. Both of which I have used to author packages in the past. I find it takes a week or so to get used to the toolset again and when a quick turnaround is required, it not something I want to add to the mix.

Interesting you mention error free packages, would like to compare PACE and Adminstudio in the repackage area and also authoring and see which comes out on top with the least ICE errors.

Do something other don’t: *shrugs
    Easier to use: personally, yes.
    Not cheaper: defo not cheaper.
    Better packages: *shrugs

• April 25, 2017 at 4:17 pm#5219
    Profile photo of pressanykeypressanykey
    Participant

Hi Riley,

have you used AdminStudio lately? Do they still have the MST Tuner? (that works). Does the duplicate file functionalty work yet? Does the XML Editing function correctly yet?

I may be “bitching” but if you take the things I’ve mentioned above, replace them with others, replace the product you get the same result. (i.e. every product has it’s ups and downs).

@Kim, I personally think that it’s the “devil you know” mentality. The majority of packagers know AdminStudio and are therefore aware of how to use it, what it does and what it’s “problems/features” are and therefore tend to stick to what they know. As Riley has said, basically there is not a real difference between the various products except the price…

just my tuppence

Cheers

Phil

• April 26, 2017 at 3:32 am#5238

@Riley I’m with the PACE Suite team. I really like you take on this question. We launched the new release just yesterday and we claim that now PACE Suite is the fastest application packaging tool out there. We would be happy to provide you with our software so that you can test the speed, compare PACE Suite with other solutions or conduct any other analysis that you prefer. We are always eager to get unbiased third-party reviews. Would you be interested?

• April 26, 2017 at 7:09 pm#5256
    Profile photo of Riley LimRiley Lim

@Phil. The mythical Duplicate File Table that Adminstudio/InstallShield has never used! Have to agree that’s one of the features that irks me with the product compared to WPS. Haven’t run across the XML issue yet, but will keep note of that feature. I agree with the ups and downs of each product and I think it is more the “devil you know’ mentality.

@Volodymyr. Would be interested in doing this when I have more time free, will PM you in one month when I’m back in Europe. I have used PACE before, but not the Repackager.

• May 16, 2017 at 11:14 am#5830
    Profile photo of badgerbadger
    Participant

I have used the duplicate file table in AdminStudio, I can confirm it is not a myth.
    I have also used the XML editing, did not like that. In essence ‘it does work’ however, when I needed it, it was not clever enough for what I needed. Thinking now, I recall a server name appeared in multiple locations, and I could not get it to change the 1st and 3rd, it was all or nothing. Turns out we just used a script to copy the configured files off the server, then back in after the MSI install.

I have played a bit with PACE, I would be interested in doing a time/speed check too.

One other thing I LOVE about AdminStudio, is having the ISM project file in XML format, this means you can check in a text file to a code store and developers could check if their file, Dir, ODBC etc had been added without having to have a proprietary piece of software like Wise or InstallShield and more importantly, they could check and I would not have to talk to them.

• May 17, 2017 at 2:50 am#5840

@badger, we have a free trial that has no functional limitations whatsoever, so you can download it from our website and use it for a speed check. In case you need some additional help or have some questions just PM me or our support team. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on our product!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags